Monday, June 16, 2008

Tony Awards review

Well, I just got back home after a great weekend and a wonderful night at the Tony Awards! 

We arrived out front at about 6:30, and joined the line to stand with everyone else that was entering Radio City. The line then split into two groups, the "regular tickets" and the "Silver Tickets". We had silver tickets, which meant we were with the theatre guild people, which was really cool. We actually got to walk on the red carpet, although we only got on about two feet of it.

As we entered the door, they then confiscated our cameras, but they missed my cell phone camera, so I did get a few dark shots of the inside.

The first hour were the artistic awards, which were really cool to see. The audience wasn't totally full by that point, and the people who made the speeches were funny. I believe they showed some clips of it during the broadcast, like the guy who made the comment about looking for his m&m's. All of these awards were presented by the same two people. I don't remember who the woman was, but the man was Michael Cerveris, who I got to see in Sweeney Todd last year, so that was really cool. He really enjoyed saying "Les Liaisons Dangereuses", and it was very funny.

At five of 8, they announced that there were going on the air in 5 minutes. Then, three minutes later they repeated it, adding "Please do not stand in the aisle for your safety. There may be some surprises", at which my mom and I turned to each other and said "They're starting with Lion King then."

10 seconds of 8 we figured out we were right when the cameras clicked on and the music started. I forgot how much I loved Lion King. We saw it when it first opened, 10 years ago last month, I believe, so that was really cool to see again.

Cry Baby seemed better on that stage than it did when we saw it. It was good when we saw it back in previews, but not that good. Here the leads voices were a lot stronger, which was interesting. My mom and I were laughing that they got all their shoes on with the license plates, because when we saw it performed originally, one of the dancers got his shoe stuck underneath one of the presses, and had to do the whole tap routine with one tap shoe and one white sock on. So that was cool to see again. That is one of the stronger numbers of the performance.

Then came Passing Strange, I believe. Not sure, the music was so loud I couldn't think. For a room that sits 6000 people, it has good acoustics. Never seen it, and honestly don't really want to.

Then was Gypsy (I think. Its so late now my brain isn't working. correct me if I'm wrong on the order). It was amazing. Patti LuPone Owned the stage, far more than Bernadette Peters did. I'm not sure if you guys at home could see it, but right after they performed, when I believe you all had a commercial break, the entire audience had like a 5 minute standing ovation for her. She was phenomenal. 



The Order of the performances after this part is probably out of order, because I'm so tired I can't remember. o.O


Grease was interesting. I saw it on its last revival, and the definitely played this one up more. Looks good, but I wouldn't want to spend the money to see it again when it was fine the first time.


South Pacific was one that I didn't want to see again, but changed my mind. I saw it in Philly when Robert Goulet was the lead, and I thought that was more than enough for me. However, this production looks incredible, and I want to see it for sure now.

I was disappointed by the Lack of time that they gave the musicals that weren't nominated for best Musical. Two of the three are in the top 10 bestselling musicals currently on broadway, and are in the top 4 best selling out of any of the performances that were in this tony awards. They easily could have cut the speeches by 10 seconds per person and given that time to the other shows, but no.. of course not...

Little Mermaid- They could have picked a better song, but for the time and everything they had, it was good. I want to see it for sure now. Love the costumes.

A Catered Affair- I actually had to cover my ears, because I NEVER want to hear this score again. Gah. Nothing further.

Young Frankenstein- One of my favorites (top fav, actually) of all time, and I must say, I hate the theatre guild for taking out their rage about mel brooks leaving the guild on his musical. They gave it the least amount of time out of all the acts, didn't introduce it well, and just kinda poked at it with a stick. However, Mel Brooks is a genius. I don't know whether he picked the song himself, but whoever did is a genius. They picked a song that basically said "F**k You" to the theatre guild, and, IMO, was one of the strongest performances of the night. NOTE: You guys didn't see it because of the commercial, but Megan Mullally did a little twirl after she bowed, and skipped and twirled off stage, which was cute.

In the Heights is a musical that I really want to see, although getting tickets is probably going to be impossible now. -sigh- Oh well, we'll have to wait. There was so much energy coming off of them, and it was obvious they were the crowd favorite. Every time the name was mentioned there was screaming and cheering.

Sunday In the park with george- I hate this musical, so I'm kinda biased against it, so I'll stay away from the play on onto the actors. The Leads had energy and chemistry with each other, which was good, and excelled voices, but besides that, Its not something I plan on spending money to see.

Xanadu looks Okay, but I don't plan on seeing it. The only reason I would see it is for the lead guy, who we saw as the lead in All Shook Up. He has an excellent voice, but I don't think the musical will be sticking around very long.

Seeing the whole cast of rent together was cool. I never got to see it in NYC, although my dad and my brother did over 10 years ago. I loved their small comments, especially Idina Menzel's in reference to her husband, which was cool. The entire audience cheered at that point.


Random Notes and Memorable things:

I'm Glad Patti LuPone won the tony. She deserves it. Out of all the plays that were up today, out of all the people that had different awards, she was the only one that I really cared about winning.

Because I'm not sure which parts of it you all got at home, seeing the sneak peaks of what is coming to broadway next year was cool. Dirty Dancing is coming, which is interesting, as well as loads of others.

I loved Lin-Manuel Miranda rapping his acceptance speech. That was unique.

I thought it was really cool that Mandy Patinkin read the acceptance for Sondheim.

Mark Rylance's little ramble was like "WTF". I loved when they focused on the woman in the audience and her face said it all. (As a Side note, I believe the speech was a well known poem, which was cool)

Not sure if you saw it, but after xanadu, during the commercial time, whoopi was pushed from one side on rollerblades, but couldn't make it to the other side, and was left 5 feet from the wings, and someone had to reach out and pull her back in. 

Also, Whoopi was falling out of her black dress. She couldn't get it closed, it looked like.

During Lion king, when they had the birds "flying" in the audience, the person with the bird on the balcony below was spinning it so crazily it hit this one guy a few rows in front in the head a few times, which was so funny.

Right before they went back on the air, they had to say "10 seconds... -pause- can I get some applause please" because we were all waiting in silence. Lol

Patti LuPone yelling at the orchestra was cool too. Good for her for going on.

I have more, but I don't want to bore you all. Pictures to come later.

No comments: